REG Bio-Residual™ Oil
A new sustainable solution for generating heat or power, or for use in other industrial applications.
As the nation’s largest producer of biodiesel, Chevron Renewable Energy Group offers a consistent supply of high-performing bio-residual oil for use as a clean-burning alternative to traditional fuel oils.
High Performance to Meet Your Specifications
REG BioResidual™ Oil — a co-product of the biodiesel refining process — offers exceptional BTU performance when burned for heat or power generation. Whether used as a straight replacement for fuel oil, sprayed onto a traditional fuel source or blended with conventional heating oils, REG Bio-Residual™ Oil provides up to 128,000 BTUs per gallon while reducing emissions.
REG Bio-Residual™ Oil is an exceptional and renewable alternative to fuel oil, coal, natural gas and even other biomass fuel sources, providing many valuable benefits:
Better BTU performance
- REG Bio-Residual™ Oil provides up to 128,000 BTUs per gallon.
- Advanced production technology means REG Bio-Residual™ Oil contains minimal amounts of water or methanol.
- REG Bio-Residual™ Oil offers a higher BTU value than coal or wood-fiber material, with approximately 100–125% more energy per pound than wood chips or pellets.
- As a co-product of biodiesel production, REG Bio-Residual™ Oil has minimal carbon intensity.
- REG Bio-Residual™ Oil burns cleanly and produces less particulate matter than other fuel sources. For example, ash content is reduced to 0.01-0.05% compared to 0.20% for No. 6 fuel oil.
- REG Bio-Residual™ Oil is produced from recycled fats and oils such as used cooking oil, inedible corn oil, animal fat and other vegetable oils — renewable and plentiful resources. It is an affordable way to meet your company’s sustainability goals.
- Fuel quality is guaranteed, regardless of feedstock.
- In certain areas of the country, REG Bio-Residual™ Oil may qualify for Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) and RINs, depending on the usage.
Volume and Logistics to Meet Your Demands
REG Bio-Residual™ Oil is flexible and readily available. This high-viscosity product is liquid at room temperature. If your operation is equipped to burn a heavy fuel oil, it requires no infrastructure changes or special storage needs. If you burn solid fuel, take advantage of enhanced BTU performance by applying REG Bio-Residual™ Oil to your fuel source.
||Energy Content - Typical (BTU/lb)
||Ash Content - Typical (% wt)
||Sulfur - Typical (% wt)
|REG Bio-Residual™ Oil
||16,000 - 17,500
||0.01 - 0.05
|No. 2 Fuel Oil
||0.0015 - 0.50
|No. 4 Fuel Oil
|No. 6 Fuel Oil
||0.20 - 5.00
||11,000 - 15,000
||5.00 - 20.00
||0.70 - 4.00
||6,800 - 8,000
||0.20 - 1.00
|Wood Pelets (Premium)
More than 100 million pounds of annual production capacity
REG Bio-Residual™ Oil can be used in a wide variety of markets, including power generation, district heating and industrial applications.
Domestic and international transportation is available
LIKE WHAT YOU READ?
Chevron Renewable Energy Group delivers insightful content like this to your inbox in our e-newsletters. Sign up today.